Head of Business Development, EMEA
Head of Business Development, EMEA
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 59 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with global offices in Australia, India, Ireland, Türkiye, and other US locations. Our robust hybrid work model spans San Francisco, Denver, Ankara, Dublin, and Melbourne. This hybrid position requires two days per week in the office at the nearest hub.
Learn more about us on our company page.
You’re an active listener and a determined person who thrives in a collaborative environment like ours. You want to use your skills to help others progress, whether that’s internally with your team or seeing the impact your work can have on people around the world as you help us expand into new markets. You’re ready for a challenge and aren’t afraid to try new ideas.
About this role
Udemy Business is looking to hire a senior and experienced Business Development (BD) leader who is proactive, achievement oriented and has a “can do” attitude. This is a fantastic role for someone who wants to build the foundation for a regional partner ecosystem at a fast growing and thriving company. The BD leader will be responsible for setting our strategy and recruiting Tier 1 partners to support the growth of our industry leading Udemy Business SaaS product in EMEA. This team member will report to the Global Head of Business Development.
What you'll be doing:
- Establish a comprehensive channel strategy and partner recruitment plan across the entire region with an initial focus on recruiting public sector and corporate sales partners in the UK, Germany, France and the Benelux.
- Work closely with EMEA sales leaders to prioritize key opportunities and align on outcomes.
- Responsible for following our Tier 1 Partner recruitment process.
- Create a prospective list of partners that fit our ideal partner profile.
- Outbound to top prospects and respond to inbound leads.
- Host meetings and lead negotiations with prospective partners.
- Put together formal business plans with top prospects and gain approval from Business Development and Partner Success leaders to move the partnership forward to signature.
- Support transition process for Partner Success Manager to take over managing each partner account.
- Close 2-3 new Tier 1 partners per quarter.
- Co- lead with PSM to host quarterly meetings with our EMEA sales leaders to review partner strategy and ensure alignment with recruitment plans. Report on pipeline and business impact each quarter.
- Participate in Sales and CS team meetings to provide partner updates.
- Lead and close large scale custom content deals with partners as they arise that target learning solutions for third party audiences.
- The BD leader will travel as needed to meet with prospective partners.
- With proven success, there is an opportunity to become a manager and build out the EMEA BD team in the future.
What you’ll have
- 7+ years of experience in sales and SaaS channel partner management.
- The ideal candidate will have experience managing resellers in a SaaS environment.
- Strong sales background and acumen.
- Knowledge of and experience selling into Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- French or German fluency, in addition to English, is a plus.
- Proven success and consistently achieved and exceeded channel revenue goals.
- Excellent time management skills and understand how to prioritize.
- Highly skilled at negotiations and don’t get easily frustrated in the process.
- Proven ability to work effectively cross-departmentally within a global organization.
- Top-notch written and verbal communications skills.
- Embrace Udemy’s mission to improve lives through learning.
- SaaS, Ed Tech industry and international experiences are preferred.
- Bachelor's degree in business management or related field. MBA preferred.
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work. Learn more about our certification here and find out what it's like to work at Udemy on our blog.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the Ireland:
Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, life and income protection coverage
Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement. 26 weeks paid maternity leave for birthing parents as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
Retirement: 6% employer matching Defined Contribution Master Trust
Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
Holidays: 25 paid holidays throughout the year plus bank holidays
About our Dublin location
Dublin is where our Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) headquarters is located, which means it plays a major role in our mission of sharing knowledge and unlocking potential for learners, instructors, and businesses globally. We have a fantastic central Dublin location with a brand new building, purpose-built for us. We’ve invested a lot here and have seen huge growth in the EMEA market – which is why we see Dublin as a key location for the future of Udemy.
We have also been officially certified as a Great Place to Work in Ireland, recognizing our high-trust, high-performance workplace culture. With so many diverse perspectives, languages, and ethnicities coming together here, it’s no surprise that our Dublin office has been thriving.
Would you like to learn more about Udemy? Here are a few resources:
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.